I use a planner very similar to this (though there are features in my planner that I don't yet need as my toddler is not yet in soccer, baseball, music, or any other activities besides playing with his cousins at his Aunt and Grandma's houses)... But this helps me to cut out the monotony conversations like "What do you want for dinner?..."I don't know... what do YOU want??"... "I dunno... tacos?"... "We already had those this week..."...
But given the busy lifestyle that my husband and I both lead (both of us work full time and are in school full time), I do admit I am a bit addicted to slow cooker meals... so "What's for dinner??" tomorrow night... Ham... in the slow cooker...
Mine won't look THIS pretty I'm sure... but you can't go wrong with a ham... or a slow cooker...
Crockpot Ham with Pineapple and a Mustard Glaze
1 cup of water and optional: sage or bay leaves
1 1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tsp dry mustard or 2 Tbsp of dijon mustard
2 Tbsp cider or white vinegar or lemon juice
2 Tbsp orange juice
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1 can pineapple rings
whole cloves
toothpicks
1 cup of water and optional: sage or bay leaves
1 1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tsp dry mustard or 2 Tbsp of dijon mustard
2 Tbsp cider or white vinegar or lemon juice
2 Tbsp orange juice
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1 can pineapple rings
whole cloves
toothpicks
Score the top of the ham with a sharp knife in a diamond pattern. Attach the pineapple rings with whole cloves or place cloves in cente of diamond and attached pineapple rings with toothpicks (not too far in!). If your slow cooker has a roasting rack, use it. If not, line crock pot with aluminum foil. Place ham on rack. Combine brown sugar, mustard and lemon juice; spoon over ham. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes. Turn slow cooker to low and bake for 6 1/2 more hours. Test with meat thermometer after 5 1/2 hours. Once ham reaches 125-130 degrees, remove.
Remove ham (use gloves or potholders) to a platter. Combine orange juice and cornstarch to form smooth paste. Taste your ham drippings – if very very salty, discard. If pan drippings taste delicious to you – pour into roasting pan (conventional oven) or keep in the crockpot. If using, stir orange mixture into drippings, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Place ham onto roasting rack (or in crockpot or on roasting pan….) Spoon glaze over ham.
Place ham into preheated 350 degree oven. Or, turn crockpot onto high. Bake for an additional 35-45 minutes or until shiny and brown. Present and slice at table while studded (fun!) but be sure it rests for 15 minutes before slicing.


No comments:
Post a Comment