After searching and searching, I have finally found a blog spot that suits my needs as a non-computer savvy writer. I write because it is cathartic and I've finally had enough life experience that I have some knowledge and wisdom to share. Well, I at least have my own experiences and perspectives to share... but I'm happy with where these have brought me and so I am also hopeful that this offers some helpful insight to others around me.
My life changed the minute I began my experiential training to become a mental health therapist. Well, let's rewind... my life has changed many times before that and has continued to change (and will continue to change) even after that... but my perspective of life changed when I saw for myself what my parents, teachers, grandparents, and other influential adults had always proclaimed to me: There are people who are worse off than you... always. Be grateful for what you have and then you'll realize that you have more than you know. Seeing people who are grateful to just wake up each day with the shot at being sober, just for today, and people who are grateful to just be free from an oppressive situation or from the strong grips of their mental illness... seeing that on a daily basis has really done wonders for me. I learned to not complain about my job or school or family or bills the minute I learned that there are people in this world who would love to have the "problems" I have. More so, I learned to use what I have to make more for myself, my husband, and my child(ren) so that they are never short of blessings to count.
While I have learned these profound things, I still have a lot of work to be done on myself. I practice this gratitude on a daily basis... but am certainly not perfect at it. But I hope to use this blog not only to share what I have learned but to remind myself (in true therapeutic journal fashion) where I've been and where I'd like to be. I'd like to share the tools that I use and practice on a daily basis. This ranges from budgeting tools, organization tools, recipes, and products and reaches deep within me to explain how mindfulness and thought processes can truly be the "make or break" of our own happiness and success. Just like everything in life, happiness takes practice. And it's not realistic to believe that we'll always be happy. Life happens. But choice happens too... so just for today, I choose to be goal and solution oriented... and I choose to take what happens in life to add to my resume of life experiences and to expand my world view. Just for today I plan to start and finish my day with honest gratitude.
Well, actually, I'll likely finish today with a toasted bagel with peanut butter.
No comments:
Post a Comment